Yoga Service Scholarship
Yoga Service Scholarship for Teacher Training
In Memory of John Valdez
Spiral Path Yoga Center is pleased to offer one full-tuition yoga training scholarship to our 2017-18 Teacher Training and Certification program. Entitled “The Yoga of Mindfulness & Accessibility,” this unique 200-Hour program prepares aspiring teachers to offer a contemplative and therapeutic style of yoga to a wide range of potential students.
As in most trainings, you’ll learn to lead classes that work for the mainstream yoga population. However, our goal is to take your knowledge further, and help you develop an ability and passion for adapting yoga to the groups or individuals you feel called to serve. This is an extremely helpful skill in any yoga teaching setting! But, for the Yoga Service Scholarship, we’re looking for an individual who plans to spend time teaching a special population or underserved group. This could include students with health conditions or physical limitations, and/or those who lack access to yoga due to cultural, financial, geographical, or other reasons.
This training will certify you as a yoga instructor, and give you substantial preparation for any further specialized training that may be needed for teaching certain populations. (Spiral Path Yoga Center is a Registered Yoga School with Yoga Alliance, and graduates of this training will be able to register with YA at the RYT-200 level.)
Scholarship Application Deadline:
Our intention for the scholarship is to help make these beneficial practices more available to others, in ways that authentically meet their needs. This value was particularly important to our friend, colleague, and studio co-owner John Valdez, who passed away in January 2016. We had many conversations about mindfulness, accessibility, and diversity with John, and this scholarship is dedicated to his memory.
We are proud to offer this Yoga Service Scholarship for a second year, with this 2017-18 application.
- Must love yoga and have some prior yoga practice experience.
- Must have the intention to bring yoga and/or meditation to a special population or underserved group. This could be any group that often lacks access to yoga, or that may not feel welcome in mainstream yoga settings. Some previous experience with, or connection to, the special population or group would strengthen the application.
- Must be willing to commit the required time and energy to the full 200-hour training program.
- Must be willing to report back on yoga service projects after the training.
- Priority will be given to applicants with financial need, who otherwise may not be able to afford yoga teacher training.
The application deadline has passed for the 2017 Yoga Service Scholarship. (Note: There are still payment plan options available for those interested in pursuing training without the scholarship.)
Please carefully read and review the training schedule and content here. The scholarship is for the Teacher Track (full certification).
Application Process & Timeline:
- Complete the online application by June 26th.
- After the application deadline, we will contact finalists for interviews.
- We will notify the scholarship recipient and announce the results by July 10th.
- Training begins Friday, September 22nd.